The incline dumbbell bench press is one of the best exercises for the chest muscle groups. It is a common press and push movement which one can often witness in the schedule of every gym-goer. The incline dumbbell bench press helps in increasing the size and strength of the chest. There are often great controversies related to the correct form and technique of incline dumbbell press. In this article, we will clear your doubts related to the correct form and technique related to the incline dumbbell press. So stick with us to know more –
Benefits of the Incline Dumbbell Press
The incline dumbbell press is extremely popular among the gym-goers. Hardly anyone misses this exercise on their chest day. It supports increasing the chest size and increases the strength as well.
The primary target of the incline dumbbell bench press is the upper portion of the chest while the secondary target muscles are front deltoid (front shoulder) and the triceps muscles. The upper chest remains unengaged during most of the chest exercises like normal bench press, chest fly and so on. Hence incline dumbbell press helps in activating this muscle group.
It not only helps in forming a better chest muscle but also increases the strength of your shoulders and supports in increasing the size of shoulder muscle. Shoulder joints are also strengthened with this exercise and it also activates triceps muscles. The way one holds the dumbbell while doing incline dumbbell press majorly defines the area of the chest which will be targeted and the impact.
One of the best benefits of this exercise is that you can lift heavier weights during this exercise when compared to other chest exercises. This helps in increasing the strength of your hand as well. Let us now look forward to the right way of doing incline dumbbell bench press –
Incline Bench Press Guide
The dumbbell bench press is done in 3 ways – flat dumbbell bench press, incline dumbbell bench press and decline dumbbell bench press. You are not only supposed to change the angle of inclination during all these 3 exercises but also the way you hold your dumbbell and push-movement. Correct form and technique can give you amazing results in a short duration without any injuries whereas the wrong form can be dangerous to you. Hence follow this incline bench press guide to avoid any potential risks to your body and get amazing results. you can also check Bench Press Max Calculator for your lift.
- First of all, you will have to set the angle of inclination of your bench to 30-45 degrees. Make sure that your bench is at a correct angle otherwise your form will be disturbed.
- Lie down on your back and make your body stable. If you are not stable then you won’t be able to do the exercise in the right manner and dumbbell may also fall which can lead to injuries.
- Lift the dumbbell by a small thrust from your thighs. This is the correct way of lifting the dumbbells. Lift one by one so that you can maintain the balance.
- Hold the dumbbell at your shoulder width and now you have to adjust your palm and wrist position. Rotate the wrist in such a way that your palm is facing the front. In order to get the maximum contraction slightly bend your wrist inwards.
- Make sure that your elbow is not aligned to your shoulder rather it is slightly inward. This will prevent you from injuring your shoulder.
- Now lift the dumbbell straight, hold there for a second and bring down slowly. Stop when your dumbbells are at your equal to your shoulder’s height. Make sure that your lowering movement takes twice the time than your push movement. Lowering the dumbbells slowly will give the maximum tension on your upper chest.
- Repeat this exercise until your reps are completed. Put the dumbbell back on your thighs and then gently put them down. This is the correct way of putting the dumbbell down. Do not loose dumbbells directly as you finish the rep as this may injure your elbow/wrist/shoulder.
While doing dumbbell bench press focus more on your form than on the weight. If your form is correct then in no time you will be able to lift heavier weights as well. But first of all, you will have to correct your form. Heavier weights with the wrong form can lead to serious injuries as well.
- Incline bench press workout is one of the best ways to increase the size of your chest by increasing the strength at the same time. Perform this exercise on every or on alternate chest schedule. As there is no chest exercise that can hit your upper chest, doing this is a must to keep your chest in correct shape and size.
- Go by the lighter weights at the start as you need to master the form first. Ego-lifting should be avoided completely as it may lead to serious injuries without giving any benefit to your muscles.
- Before doing incline dumbbell bench press, do stretch your chest a little bit or you can do a warm-up session. If you have already done another chest exercise prior to this then warm-up is not needed, though you can do some reps by lighter weights at the start.
- Your wrist should be firm straight and do not bend your wrist while pushing the dumbbell up as this may injure your wrist. We suggest you wear a wrist supporter while doing this exercise.
- Your wrist angle can change the amount of tension on your chest muscle hence keep your wrist angle correct while you are lifting or lowering the dumbbell. If bending your wrist slightly inwards causing pain then we suggest you keep your palm facing front.
- If you feel any pain at your shoulder muscles or any group of muscles then consult your trainer right away. Never do any exercise if your joints pain while you are making the move. Either you are lifting too heavy or your form is wrong. Make sure that you understand the difference between muscle pain and joint pain.
- While lifting heavy keep a partner beside you. This will help you in preventing injury. In case if your movement goes wrong, your partner can let you assist you.
- When you finish the exercise, do some post-stretching. It will relax your muscles and relieve muscle-soreness as well if there’s any.
Incline dumbbell bench press is one of the best chest exercises. The upper chest can be best developed through this exercise hence it is a must to include exercise in your workout schedule. Follow the above-inclined dumbbell press guide to get the maximum tension on your chest. Lift according to your strength and avoid ego-lifting.